I am currently a full professor at School of Computer Science and Engineering, Nanjing University of Science and Technology. I received my Ph.D degree at National Laboratory of Pattern Recognition, Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences in 2011, under the supervision of Prof. Chengqing Zong. Currently, I am interested in the following topics:
- Natural Language Processing: text classification, sentiment analysis and opinion mining, social media analysis, multimodal data analysis, text generation and dialogue system.
- Machine Learning and Data Mining: supervised/semi-supervised learning, feature selection, transfer learning and domain adaptation, lifelong learning, deep learning.
- Chengqing Zong, Rui Xia and Jiajun Zhang, Text Data Mining, Tsinghua University Press, 2019. (in Chinese)
- Rui Xia and Zixiang Ding. Emotion-Cause Pair Extraction: A New Task to Emotion Analysis in Texts. The Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL), pp. 1003-1012, 2019. [dataset and code] (Outstanding Paper Award)
- Rui Xia, Mengran Zhang, and Zixiang Ding. RTHN: A RNN-Transformer Hierarchical Network for Emotion Cause Extraction. The International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), pp. 5285-5291, 2019. [code]
- Zixiang Ding, Huihui He, Mengran Zhang, and Rui Xia*. From Independent Prediction to Reordered Prediction: Integrating Relative Position and Global Label Information to Emotion Cause Identification. The AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), 2019. [code]
- Jianfei Yu, Jing Jiang and Rui Xia. Global Inference for Aspect and Opinion Terms Co-extraction based on Multi-Task Neural Networks. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 168-177, 2019.
- Rui Xia, Zhenchen Pan, and Feng Xu. Instance weighting with applications to cross-domain text classification via trading off sample selection bias and variance. The International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), pp. 4489–4495, 2018.
- Zixiang Ding, and Rui Xia*, Jianfei Yu, Xiang Li, and Jian Yang. Densely Connected Bidirectional LSTM with Applications to Sentence Classification. The CCF International Conference on Natural Language Processing and Chinese Computing (NLPCC), 2018. (also accepted by EMNLP 2018) [code]
- Huihui He, and Rui Xia*. Joint Binary Neural Network for Multi-label Learning with Applications to Emotion Classification. The CCF International Conference on Natural Language Processing and Chinese Computing (NLPCC), 2018. (also accepted by EMNLP 2018)
- Feng Xu, Jianfei Yu, and Rui Xia*. Instance-based Domain Adaptation based on Single and Multiple Logistic Approximation. IEEE Intelligent Systems, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 78-88, 2018.
- Guangneng Hu, Xinyu Dai, Fengyu Qiu, Rui Xia, Tao Li, Shujian Huang, and Jiajun Chen. Collaborative Filtering with Topic and Social Latent Factors Incorporating Implicit Feedback. ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 1–30, 2018.
- Shiliang Zheng and Rui Xia*. Left-Center-Right Separated Neural Network for Aspect-based Sentiment Analysis with Rotatory Attention. arXiv preprint https://arxiv.org/abs/1802.00892, 2018.
- Rui Xia, Jie Jiang, and Huihui He. Distantly Supervised Lifelong Learning for Large-scale Social Media Sentiment Analysis. IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 480–491, 2017.
- Leyi Wang and Rui Xia*. Sentiment Lexicon Construction with Representation Learning Based on Hierarchical Sentiment Supervision. The Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP), pp. 513–521, 2017.
- Rui Xia, Feng Xu, Jianfei Yu, Yong Qi, and Erik Cambria. Polarity Shift Detection, Elimination and Ensemble: A Three-stage Model for Document-level Sentiment Analysis. Information Processing and Management, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 36–45, 2016.
- Qingqing Zhou, Rui Xia, and Chengzhi Zhang. Online shopping behavior study based on multi-granularity opinion mining: China vs. America. Cognitive Computation, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 587-602, 2016.
- Sheng Wang, Jianfeng Lu, Xingjian Gu, Chunhua Shen, Rui Xia, and Jingyu Yang. Canonical principal angles correlation analysis for two-view data. Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 209–219, 2016.
- Rui Xia, Feng Xu, Chengqing Zong, Qianmu Li, Yong Qi and Tao Li. Dual Sentiment Analysis: Considering Two Sides of One Review. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, vol. 27, no. 8, pp. 2120–2133, 2015. [code]
- Rui Xia, Cheng Wang, Xinyu Dai, and Tao Li. Co-training for Semi-supervised Sentiment Classification Based on Dual-view Bags-of-words Representation. The Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL), pp. 1054–1063, 2015.
- Rui Xia, Chengqing Zong, Xuelei Hu, and Erik Cambria. Feature Ensemble plus Sample Selection: Domain Adaptation for Sentiment Classification (Extended Abstract). The International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), pp. 4229–4233, 2015.
- Xiang Li, Suchi Qian, Furong Peng, Jian Yang, Rui Xia, and Xiaolin Hu. Deep Convolutional Neural Network and Multi-View Stacking Ensemble in Ali Mobile Recommendation Algorithm Competition. The ICDM Workshop on Mobile Data Mining& Human Mobility Computing, 2015. (Champion of the Competition)
- Rui Xia, Jianfei Yu, Feng Xu, and Shumei Wang. Instance-based Domain Adaptation in NLP via In-target-domain Logistic Approximation. The AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), pp. 1600–1606, 2014.
- Rui Xia, Chengqing Zong, Xuelei Hu, and Erik Cambria. Feature Ensemble plus Sample Selection: Domain Adaptation for Sentiment Classification. IEEE Intelligent Systems, vol. 28 no. 3, pp. 10–18, 2013.
- Rui Xia, Xuelei Hu, Jianfeng Lu, Jian Yang, and Chengqing Zong. Instance Selection and Instance Weighting for Cross-domain Sentiment Classification via PU Learning. The International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), pp. 2276–2182, 2013.
- Rui Xia, Tao Wang, Xuelei Hu, Shoushan Li, and Chengqing Zong. Dual Training and Dual Prediction for Polarity Classification. The Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL), pp. 521–525, 2013.
- Rui Xia, Chengqing Zong, and Shoushan Li. Ensemble of Feature Sets and Classification Algorithms for Sentiment Classification. Information Sciences, vol. 181, no. 6, pp. 1138–1152, 2011.
- Rui Xia and Chengqing Zong. A POS-based ensemble model for cross-domain sentiment classification. The International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing (IJCNLP), pp. 614–622, 2011.
- Rui Xia and Chengqing Zong. Exploring the Use of Word Relation Features for Sentiment Classification. The International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING), pp. 1336–1344, 2010.
- Shoushan Li, Rui Xia, Chengqing Zong, and Chu-Ren Huang. A Framework of Feature Selection Methods for Text Categorization. The Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL), pp. 692–700, 2009.
- Rui Xia, Ke Meng, Feng Qian, and Zhenlei Wang. Online Wavelet Denoising via a Moving Window. ACTA Automatic Sinica, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 897-901, 2007.
- Area Chair/Co-Chair: EMNLP (2019), NLPCC (2016)
- Session Chair: ACL (2015)
- Senior Program Committee Member: AAAI (2019), IJCAI (2018)
- Program Committee Member: IJCAI, AAAI, ACL, EMNLP, NAACL, COLING, NLPCC, CCL, SMP, SENTIRE, WISDOM, MABSDA, etc.
- Editorial Board Member: Natural Language Processing Research (2019-)
- Journal Reviewer: IEEE TKDE, IEEE TAFFC, IEEE/ACM TASLP, ACM TOIT, ACM TKDD, ACM TIST, ACM TALIP, DAMI, IPM, IEEE IS, IEEE CIM, LREV, KBS, Neurocomputing, Cognitive Computation, Artificial Intelligence Review, Multimedia Tools and Applications, JCST, SCIENCE CHINA, Chinese Journal of Computers, ACTA Automatic Sinica, etc.
- NUSTM-Toolkits: the code and toolkits implemented by NUSTM Group, including: a C++ implementation of Naive Bayes Classifier; a C++ implementation of expectation-maximization (EM) algorithm with naïve Bayes; a C++ implementation of Logistic/Softmax Regression with GD/SGD/L-BFGS training; a python implementation of the dual sentiment analysis algorithm; NUSTM Chinese Word Segmentation toolkit; NUSTM Chinese named entity recognition toolkit; etc.
- NUSTM-SED: a social media emergence detection and drilling system.
- NUSTM-WeiboFollow: an automatic Weibo spider system.
- Pos-Neg@GAE: a supervised machine learning based sentiment classification system running on google application engine (GAE).
I can recruit 1~2 Chinese Ph.D candidate and 4 Chinese master candidates every year. I welcome students with strong mathematics/English foundation and good programming skills to contact me. I do NOT recruit foreign master students, but I do recruit foreign Ph.D candidates who have had at least one English publication in Artificial Intelligence or Computer Science.
- 2018.9– Michael Boakye Osei (Ph.D Candidate)
- 2017.9– Hongjie Cai (Ph.D Candidate)
- 2016.9– Zixiang Ding (Ph.D Candidate)
- 2019.9– Hao Chen (Master Candidate)
- 2019.9– Qinghe Li (Master Candidate)
- 2019.9– Zhaoyu Li (Master Candidate)
- 2019.9– Ziheng Liu (Master Candidate)
- 2019.9– Fanfan Wang (Master Candidate)
- 2018.9– Kai Chen (Master Candidate)
- 2018.9– Chenggong Gong (Master Candidate)
- 2018.9– Xiao Jin (Master Candidate)
- 2018.9– Chenglu Li (Master Candidate)
- 2017.9– Kaizhou Xuan (Master Candidate)
- 2017.9– Mengran Zhang (Master Candidate)
- 2016.9–2019.3 Huihui He (Master), Baidu (Shanghai)
- 2015.9–2018.3 Shenghuan He (Master), Xiaomi (Beijing)
- 2015.9–2018.3 Yinbo Li (Master), ZTE (Shanghai)
- 2015.9–2018.3 Leyi Wang (Master), Baidu (Beijing)
- 2015.9–2018.3 Shiliang Zheng (Master), Alibaba (Hangzhou)
- 2014.9–2017.3 Jie Jiang (Master), Meituan (Shanghai) -> Baidu (Shanghai)
- 2014.9–2017.3 Zhenchun Pan (Master), Huawei (Nanjing)
- 2014.9–2017.3 Tong Yin (Master), Huawei (Nanjing)
- 2013.9–2016.3 Chao Liu (Master), Eastern Theater PLA (Fuzhou)
- 2013.9–2016.3 Ke Wang (Master), Huawei (Nanjing)
- 2012.9–2015.3 Cheng Wang (Master), Baidu (Shanghai)
- 2012.9–2014.7 Jianfei Yu (Master), SMU (Ph.D) -> NJUST
- 2011.9–2014.3 Tao Wang (Master), Meituan (Beijing) -> Alibaba (Hangzhou)
Last update on 2019-9-1